Monday, November 16, 2009

PHP 5.3

I've just read this pdf from I.A.'s blog about PHP 5.3 performances.
My comments:

Performances
What I really consider good is the performance increasing (5/10%) that include a smarter behaviour with require/inclusion, smaller binary size and better stack performance.

Features
- Namespaces are OK, but not really necessary. A good code can be written also without them.
- I think the best feature is the late static binding. It was the only big lack about the PHP OO.
- Also closures are sometimes useful to write a clearer code. I've tested their performances (*) and it seems there are no decreasing using them, that's cool.
(*) array_map(function ($n){return($n * $n * $n);}, array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5)); #
- "goto": its utility (especially in a OO language!) doesn't make any sense to me. Very bad code readability with it.
- MySQLInd sounds very interesting to have better performances with MySQL. Client side query cache, written for PHP (not C/C++), performance statistics for bottle-neck analysis [read here]... wow ! I'll probably test it soon although (according to some blog posts) the performance increasing seems not very high.
- Hundreds of bug fixing and improvements, including Directory iterator and date functions => well done PHP community !

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

PHP and tips|PHP